28 Reasons the Sex and the City Movie Disrespects the 94 Episodes That Came Before
Yes, I was actually bothered by this.
They have Big and Carrie play out the most predictable storyline imaginable. If there’s one thing they never were, it’s predictable.
It’s 2 hours and 25 minutes long. That is way too long.
Samantha lives in L.A. It’s called Sex and the City, not Sex and a Couple Cities.
Charlotte is the only character with any sense and they make this poor woman poo her pants in Mexico for no reason.
Steve would never do anything to hurt Miranda!
Speaking of the show’s best male characters — Justice for Aidan! Where is he?
Aren’t Stanford and Anthony supposed to hate each other?
We wait 6 seasons of the show for Charlotte to have a baby and the second we meet the (adopted) kid, we get no time with her before she’s pregnant.
We don’t hear the iconic theme song, only variants and riffs.
Oscar Winner Jennifer Hudson plays Carrie’s assistant two years after winning her Oscar.
Auld Lang Syne? Trendy.
We get an emotional apartment pack up scene just for her to move back in 30 minutes later.
CARRIE BRADSHAW, THE Carrie Bradshaw feels bad for wanting a big wedding??
They kind of treat each other like dookie in this.
She doesn’t say “I couldn’t help but wonder” until the very end!
In fact, she barely narrates at all!
To conclude that point, that means we don’t get any catchy transition puns. For example, this season 1 line that brings back another classic man: “As Skipper rededicated his singular affection for Miranda, Charlotte was receiving her own declaration of monogamy.” That’s a great transition! They were all over the show. No where to be seen here.
Final boy point: We don’t get enough Harry Goldenblatt, but honestly we never did.
20. Okay, one more: His name is BIG, it’s NOT John. It’s fine to say it once in the series finale. That’s kitschy. But they say it like a dozen times in this.
21. Wait, what happened to Stanford’s boyfriend?
22. The show’s funny. The movie’s not funny.
23. The product placement is unbearable.
24. They introduce the idea of Carrie loaning books from the library just so it can become her wedding venue. Don’t they say multiple times throughout the show that she only reads magazines? Please tell me I’m wrong.
25. They have Samantha leave Smith just so she’ll have something to do. They really made her tragic character flaw she just can’t live without boning. That’s what finally saying “I love you” and breast cancer lead to.
26. They make poor Jennifer Hudson sing the movie out. Please tell me that’s not the only reason she was cast.
27. There’s a sequel.
28. Let me end this with repeating a previous point, the wedding is ridiculous. You don’t marry someone you’ve called MR. BIG for 10 years and write an international syndicated column about just to marry him at the courthouse!